The Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) has instructed the police to identify a member of the force whose name has been cited twice in the public inquiry into violations during the Bersih 3.0 rally.

NONEThe commission’s vice-chairperson, Khaw Lake Tee (right), asked ACP Jamaluddin Abdul Rahman and DSP S Shanmugamoorthy, who are holding a watching brief for the police force, to “identify” a Chinese male officer only known as “Koh”.

This came after witness Leong Siew Meng said that the officer stood watch at the Royal Selangor Club when he was “dragged” past two facing rows of police personnel.

“I was kicked, punched and beaten up when I was dragged through the two rows,” testified Leong, the 11th witness today.

There he met “Koh”, who Leong said he spoke with in Mandarin and asked, “Why are they doing this?” referring to the way he was assaulted, but “Koh” stayed mum.

Khaw then said that the officer’s name had been mentioned twice in the course of the inquiry and insisted that the police locate the the person.

Leong related that he was in the “epicentre” of the “chaotic” scene at Dataran Merdeka on April 28 to take part in the “sit-in protest”.

He described the situation then as tense, as it was crowded near the barricades cordoning off Dataran Merdeka.

“About 3pm the police fired tear gas and the water cannon was launched,” said Leong.

He retreated to Jalan Parlimen and tried to make his way to KL Sentral, but was caught by a dozen police officers and Kuala Lumpur City Hall enforcers.

“I was arrested and my hands were tied. They started beating me up. They called me names, like 'Cina babi' (Chinese pig).

'Cop took away gold chain and hit me' 

“A police officer tugged at my gold chain. I struggled as the chain cut at my neck but managed to unlock the chain eventually.

“I tried to put the chain in my pocket but the cop took it away and hit me. The more I fought, the harder I was hit,” said the 34-year-old.

He was taken to the Police Training Centre (Pulapol) on Jalan Semarak at 7.30pm, after being detained at the Royal Selangor Club for about three hours.

He was released at 2.30am the next day, after which he went to Kuala Lumpur Hospital to receive treatment for bruises and lacerations.

He told the panel that the gold chain was never returned, and added that he had lodged a police report on the matter.

The panel is headed by Khaw and assisted by commissioners Detta Samen and Mahmood Zuhdi A Majid.

The inquiry resumes tomorrow at 9.15am.