October 18, 2012
In a written reply to Loh Gwo-Burne (picture) (PKR-Kelana Jaya) yesterday, the ministry said it was Mohamad Nedim Nazri Aziz’s former bodyguard who had assaulted the security guard in the March 20 incident and the matter has been investigated by the police.
“For the information of YB and this Dewan Rakyat, the assault of a security guard in March 2012 was actually the fault of Mohamad Nedim Nazri Aziz’s former bodyguard, and this case has been investigated under section 160 of the Penal Code.
“This case has been settled amicably by both parties,” the ministry said.
Earlier this year, opposition lawmakers had raised hue and cry over the case involving Mohamad Nedim, accusing the authorities of covering up because of the man’s status as the son of a senior Cabinet minister.
At a press conference on April 9, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar was forced to urge the public to “trust” the police’s decision in the matter, pointing out that surveillance videos of the alleged scuffle at a plush Mont Kiara condominium had shown that Mohamad Nedim was innocent of wrongdoing.
In his question to the Dewan Rakyat, Loh had also asked the government to state the result of its probe against Mohamad Nedim in another assault matter — the high-profile 2004 killing of law student Darren Kang, the first controversy that the minister’s son had found himself embroiled in.
Mohamad Nedim had previously been accused of being party to the death of Kang, who was killed during an altercation outside a popular eatery in Desa Sri Hartamas here.
His father Nazri had then admitted that his son was in vicinity at the time but had nothing to do with the crime, which five Thai foodstall workers later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of manslaughter.
“To answer YB’s second query on the death of Darren Kang at Restoran Uncle Don in 2004, Mohamad Nedim was found to be not involved in the killing.
“For YB’s information, five Thai nationals who were found guilty have been charged in court and sentenced to five years’ imprisonment,” the ministry replied
Post a Comment