There will be no inquest into the fatal police shooting of contractor P Kahthir Oli outside an Ipoh pub last year, his family has been told.

According to PSM central committee member Rani Rasiah, the family was informed so by deputy public prosecutor (DPP) Masri Mohd Daud yesterday.

Instead, she said, three of the deceased's friends will be charged for causing mischief and hurt to a public servant.

"The family can appeal the decision not to call an inquest at the High Court or the Attorney General's Chambers. They are discussing their option with their lawyer now," she said.

In a statement, Rani said that the charges to be brought against Kathir's friends contradict claims made by Perak CPO Mohd Shukri Dahlan on the incident.

Mohd Shukri had immediately after the Sept 15, 2011 incident said that Kathir Oli, 31, and three others had robbed the pub owner at parang-point and tried to attack the police officer.

sivakumar and pr adun police report at ipoh police station 080509 02Rani said Kathir Oli's friends were remanded after that for attempted murder, during which time that they were beaten up and made to confess assaulting the police officer.

"Despite being blindfolded and beaten up, Kathir Oli's friends managed to stand their ground.

"The current charge that the DPP is bringing against Kathir Oli's friends is not linked to possession of parang, or attempted murder, or robbery, all of which they were initially accused of...," she said.

Shot point blank by 'tipsy' cop

According to the post mortem report, Kathir Oli was shot point blank, with the barrel of the gun pressed against his chest.

In a memorandum to the National Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) last year, PSM said father of four Kathir Oli was shot by a "tipsy" police officer.

Citing his friends accounts, they claimed that the incident happened as a result of an altercation when they were not allowed to enter the pub, purportedly because Kathir Oli was in shorts and slippers.

They said that they had decided to move on when spat got heated, resulting in broken glass bottles and shoving.

The deceased was reversing his car out, they said, when stopped by a gun-waving man in plainclothes.

"Kathir Oli and his friends got down from the car and a fight ensued between the deceased and the police officer, involving shoving and punches.

"According to a police report lodged by one of his friends, no warning was issued before a loud shooting sound was heard and Kathir Oli collapsed onto his friend," the memorandum read.