Thursday, 5 July 2012
Rafizi: Police probe corroborates Ampang LRT scandal
KUALA LUMPUR, July 5 — PKR strategy director Rafizi Ramli said today he will not be scared off by police investigating how classified documents on the RM960 million Ampang LRT extension project were leaked, and pledged instead to make more revelations surrounding the contract’s award.
Rafizi added that the police investigations into the leaking of the documents, classified under the Official Secrets Act (OSA), corroborates that revelations so far about the contract were true.
He previously alleged that speculated tender winner, the George Kent consortium, had failed both the technical and commercial evaluations for the contract, and that Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak later interfered in the deal.
Yesterday, Federal CID chief Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Zinin said a special task force has been set up to investigate how tender documents classified as official secrets were leaked.
“Any move to scare me and my colleagues to prevent us from revealing this scandal will be wasted,” Rafizi said today in a statement.
He added that PKR would start a campaign next week to distribute leaflets about the scandal at LRT stations throughout the city.
PKR has also pledged to make the Ampang LRT extension contract a major campaign issue at the next general election.
The Malaysian Insider reported last week that the speculated winner of the Ampang LRT system works — the George Kent–Lion Pacific joint venture — had scored one of the lowest points in the technical and commercial evaluations for the project.
Rafizi distributed to the press last week pages from the “Technical Evaluation Report” conducted by renowned consultancy group Halcrow, which had found in September last year that George Kent could not successfully deliver the Ampang LRT extension project.
According to the report, George Kent, said to be a manufacturer of water meters, has “no current rail projects” and has “no previous related rail experience”.
The report also said that the largest project ever completed by the consortium was worth under RM40 million, which Rafizi said raises doubts over George Kent’s capability.
Najib had last week denied interfering in the tender award for the project, but PKR has pointed out that the prime minister had neither confirmed nor denied reports that George Kent had been given the contract.
Rafizi claimed to be in possession of documented proof, to be released soon, that Najib had recently, in a “private meeting” with top-level individuals, announced the tender award to George Kent.
This was despite an earlier decision by Putrajaya to award the multi-million ringgit rail project to Balfour Beatty-Invensys Consortium, which Rafizi said was the best qualified for the job.
The rail builders led by the British engineering firm were the lowest bidders for the LRT open tender that closed on June 16 last year, offering to take on the project for RM950 million. The highest bid was for RM1.45 billion.
PKR had recently lodged a police report on the issue, citing Najib for criminal breach of trust (CBT) in his alleged interference in the project award, which has yet to be announced in public.
The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has also kicked off investigations at Syarikat Prasarana Negara Bhd (SPNB) over the RM960 million contract.
On June 29, The Malaysian Insider reported that only five of the eight bidders passed the technical and commercial evaluation stage but project owner SPNB finally recommended one of the two South Korean consortiums in the running — PDA Consortium — as the other consortiums were said to not have complied with all conditions.
PKR officials have shown copies of official documents to the press, showing that the Ministry of Finance’s (MoF) Acquisition Committee, which met this January 25, had decided to award the contract to Balfour Beatty-Invensys Consortium.
The committee is the highest decision-making body in the MoF and is chaired by Najib himself, who is also finance minister.