Saturday 27 October 2012

Jaclyn Victor’s ‘Harapan’ is my ‘Harapan’ too

Terrence Martin
The Malaysian Insider
October 27, 2012

OCT 27 — Jaclyn Victor sang “Harapan Bangsa”.

Jaclyn Victor’s a Christian.

It’s a Christian song of praise and worship.

No one ever pretended it was not.

Perkasa is now out with pitchforks and torches to lynch somebody, anybody; but preferably Jaclyn Victor.
Whatever is next?

No worship services for Christians in Malay in this country?

Or perhaps a government official will make audio, video and photographic recordings of each and every service in Malay in this country? Just to find evidence of conversion, conspiracy and the like?


Or maybe set up an anti-Christian panel comprising people like Ibrahim Ali, Helen Ang, Syed Akbar Ali and the like to put the Christians “in their rightful place”?

The serenity prayer thus reads:
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
“The courage to change the things I can,
“And the wisdom to know the difference.”
I know what I cannot change and what I can.

The wimpy leaders and politicians who allow all this to happen unchecked, that I can change.

And change we will.

Change we must.

For I have as much a right to co-exist peacefully in Malaysia to practise my religious beliefs.

As does Jaclyn Victor.

That hope she sang in the song. That hope I sing in my heart.

* Terence Martin was born into a Christian family, baptised a Christian and will die a Christian. And he loves Malaysia wholeheartedly even with the racists and bigots running wild sowing seeds of division and hatred unchecked.

No comments:

Post a Comment