PUTRAJAYA, July 25 ― The Sustainable Energy Development Authority (SEDA) today admitted that it had known about the potential for the alleged “monopoly” of its solar power contracts by Tan Sri Mohd Sidek Hassan’s daughter, but said it had no legal power to refuse the awards.
The renewable energy authority pointed out at a public briefing here that its online feed-in tariff (e-FiT) approval system was on a “first come, first serve” basis and applicants that fulfilled all requirements could not be rejected.
" This is a first come, first serve basis and these are the
consequences of the system so what the hell can I do."
But it acknowledged that bidders, noting a loophole in the system, had then applied repeatedly through various companies with the aim of snapping up a larger quota than the 5MW limit set for each application.
“We are unhappy... but our legal adviser kept on telling us ‘cannot do, cannot do (reject the application)’. This is a ‘first come, first serve’ basis and these are the consequences of the system so what the hell can I do?” SEDA chairman Tan Sri Dr Fong Chan Onn said.
DAP lawmaker Tony Pua with his PKR ally and fellow MP, Nurul Izzah Anwar, recently highlighted that Suzi Suliana Mohd Sidek and three other business partners own 12 out of 32 companies that they said won the “lion’s share” or 32.4 per cent of the nation’s solar energy quota.
Suzi’s father, Mohd Sidek, had retired as the Chief Secretary to the Government last month and is the new chairman of Petronas.
MORE TO COME
Post a Comment